Saturday, August 01, 2026

Swimming egg?

 And me without my camera ...

I was in Brown's Bay this afternoon, and had rushed out without even a pocket camera. And there were harbour seals; a half-dozen or more, swimming lazily near the shore. As we watched them, a woman passing by told me there was a day-old pup among them, although I couldn't see it.

Out beyond the docks, fish were jumping; little ones, about a hand's-length long, and closer to the boats, tiny finger-length fish, barely breaking the surface, flashing silver as they turned downward again,

Then there were the anemones; they have repopulated the floats again. White plumose anemones, tan ones, and many smaller orange ones.

And finally, swept in the current between a boat and the office float, a yellow and white jellyfish, about 15 cm. across. Yellow centre, the exact colour of an egg yolk, whitish jelly and tentacles. I'd never seen one before. A lifer! And me without my camera.

The cell phone was acting up, but I got a couple of fuzzy photos.

Egg-yolk jellyfish, Phacellophora camtshatica and reflections of the stern of the boat.

Also called fried egg jellyfish.

And then the current carried it under the float and away.

Three anemones and two limpets, kelp, under a float.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Y yo, sin cámara ...

Estaba esta tarde en Brown's Bay, pero había salido aprisa, y se me olvidó traer la cámara; ni siquiera llevaba la cámara de bolsillo. Y resultó que había un grupo de focas, media docena o más, todas descansando cerca de la playa. Mientras las observábamos, una señora que pasaba me informó que entre ellas había una foquita recién nacida el dia anterior, aunque yo no la pude ver.

Pasando los muelles, estaban saltando los peces; pescaditos chicos, de unos 10 cm. de largo. Cerca de los barcos había otros, unos pececitos de apenas 2 o 3 cm. de largo; estos nadaban cerca de la superficie, y al tocarla brillaban como si fueran hechos de plata.

Y las anémonas han vuelto a colonizar los flotadores. Anémonas Metridium senile; blancas y café claro y muchas anémonas pequeñas anaranjadas.

Y por fin, llevada por una corriente rápica entre un barco y la oficina flotante, había una medusa amarilla con blanco, midiendo unos 15 cm. de diámetro. El centro amarillo era el color preciso de una yema de huevo; la masa gelatinosa alrededor era blanca. Nunca antes había visto una de estas medusas. ¡Un "lifer"! Y yo sin cámara.

El celular andaba de malas, pero logré sacar dos fotos algo borrosas.

  1. La medusa "yema de huevo", Phacellophora camtshatica. Las lineas son reflejos del barco.
  2. También se conoce como la medusa "huevo frito". En seguida la corriente la escondió debajo de la oficina.
  3. Tres anémonas, dos lapas, y quelpos, en uno de los flotadores bajo el muelle.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger