Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Enough for the day

It was supposed to be a quick check for mushrooms in the little woods on the museum grounds. The mushrooms weren't showing up, though; it's still too dry for them. But there were birds, mostly invisible birds. A flicker ran up a tree, stopping to pound at the bark. I saw just hints of movement at first, heard the tap-tap-tap, then he appeared briefly against the light.

I sat for a long time on a log, down there in the dark woods, waiting for another glimpse. Birds came and went, darting from shadow to shadow, flashing across gaps between trunks. A leaf silhouette turned into a bird and flew away, leaving a bouncing branch as only evidence. Dry leaves rustled, though there was no wind. The only other sounds were quiet chirps, more taps, the quick whirr of small wings.

I sat for a long time, camera at the ready, but unused.

I came home with one grainy photo, of that flicker.

October in mixed forest.

Who needs mushrooms? When there are busy, invisible birds?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Atravesaba el bosquecito del museo, viendo si acaso ya hayan aparecido los hongos de otoño. Pero, no, todavía faltan las lluvias. En cambio, el bosque estaba lleno de pájaros. Pájaros invisibles, por la mayor parte. Un carpintero escapulario, Colaptes auratus, corría en el tronco de un árbol, deteniéndose por breves momentos para golpear la corteza. Al principio apenas veía una variación de la oscuridad del tronco, oí el toc, toc, toc; luego dió la vuelta al tronco, apareciendo brevemente contra la luz.

Me quedé sentada por largos minutos en un tronco caído, allí en la oscuridad del fondo del bosque, esperando por si apareciera de nuevo el carpintero. Otros pájaros venían y se iban, cruzando veloces los espacios entre los árboles. Una silueta de hoja se convirtió en pajarito y voló, dejando como evidencia solamente una rama sacudida. Hojas secas susurraban, aunque no había viento que las moviera. Los únicos otros sonidos eran el gorjeo y el aleteo de los pajaritos, los golpecitos contra madera de carpinteros.

Me quedé sentada por largo rato, con la cámara lista, inútil.

Llegué a casa con una sola foto granulada; la foto de ese pájaro carpintero.

Foto: bosque en octubre, con pájaro carpintero, hojas de arce de hoja grande.

Otro dia habrá hongos; por ahora, los pájaros invisibles son suficientes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger