Saturday, October 10, 2026

Sit spot on the lake

I discovered a new trail yesterday. Or rather, an access point for a network of biking trails, criss-crossing a second-growth forest north of John Hart Lake. I've run across these trails before, farther to the north; this one follows the north shore of the lake, starting at the dam. The bike trail is wide and gravelled, but many smaller foot trails wander off, exploring the forest. On one of these, I found this viewpoint:

Looking west.

John Hart Lake is a reservoir created by damming the Campbell River, in 1947. It's about 5 km. long, 500 m. wide.

Stumps of former riverside forest.

Looking downstream towards the dam (behind those branches.)

The lake is an average of 12 m. deep.

More trail views tomorrow.

A Skywatch post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Descubrí un sendero nuevo ayer. Mejor dicho, un nuevo punto de donde se puede entrar a una red de senderos de ciclismo que vagan por el bosque al norte del lago John Hart. He encontrado antes algunos de estos caminos, más al norte; este sigue la orilla del lago, empezando desde la presa. El sendero destinado para bicicletas es ancho y mantenido con grava, pero de allí se desvian entre el bosque senderitos accesibles solamente a pie. En uno de estos, llegué a este mirador:
  1. Mirando hacia el oeste.
  2. El lago John Hart es un embalse creado en el año 1947 por una presa sobre el rio Campbell. Corre unos 5 km, midiendo alrededor de 500 m. de ancho.
  3. Tocones de árboles destruidos al subir el agua.
  4. Mirando aguas abajo. La presa se esconde tras esas ramas a la izquierda.
  5. El lago tiene una profundidad promedia de 12 metros.
Sigo con este sendero mañana.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger