Sunday, August 02, 2026

In the veggie garden

The sun came out. And I went out and took photos of the flowers in my kitchen (veggie) garden.

Zucchini. The flowers hide in the shade under the big, prickly leaves. That may be why the deer don't eat them.

The deer left me a few scarlet runner bean flowers. This one has a pretty, stripy fly.

It's a grass fly, Thaumatomyia glabra, I think. A very tiny fly, good to have in a garden; they eat aphids.

Another zucchini flower, this one with a leggy harvestman on a leaf.

The flowers of cilantro are tiny, and edible, with a slightly spicy taste. (Whether you like or hate cilantro is a genetic trait. To some people it tastes like soap.)

Interesting umbels; flowers on the outside of each cluster have 4 long petals off to the side; the central flowers are tiny.

Parsley, going to seed.

Another of the scarlet runner bean flower clusters.

And there will be sunflowers eventually.

When I went out to water after supper, I saw that the nasturtium has opened a couple of flowers. Another salad veggie coming up. (The leaves and flowers are good to eat, but I look forward to the spicy seeds.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Salió el sol. Y fue a sacar las fotos de las flores de las verduras y hierbas en mi jardín.
  1. Flor de calabacita. Se abren en la sombra debajo de las hojas grandes, con espinitas; será por eso que los venados no se las comen, tal vez.
  2. Los venados me dejaron unas pocas flores de frijol escarlata; estas llevan, además, una mosca bonita.
  3. Es una mosca de la hierba, Thaumatomyia glabra. Bienvenida en el jardín, pues se come los áfidos.
  4. Otra flor de calabacita. A esta le acompaña un opilión patudo en una hoja.
  5. Las flores de cilantro también se comen. Tienen un sabor más fuerte que el de las hojas. (Algunas personas no pueden tolerar el cilantro; les sabe a jabón. Es un rasgo genético.)
  6. Las flores tienen una forma interesante. En cada inflorescencia, las florecitas en el exterior tienen 4 pétalos largos, estos extendidos hacia afuera.
  7. Las flores de perejil, ya empezando a producir semillas.
  8. Otras flores del frijol escarlata.
  9. Y con tiempo, habrá flores de girasol.
Cuando salí al atardecer para regar las plantas, vi que la capuchina ya abrió dos flores. Otra verdura para mis ensaladas. Las hojas y las flores son buenas, pero me gustan especialmente las semillas picantes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger