Monday, August 03, 2026

Beach hoppers

It was BC Day, a glorious Monday of a long weekend, and the beaches were busy; splashing kids, adults with chairs and umbrellas against the sunlight, a few happy dogs. I walked along the shore at Oyster Bay, watching the sand at my feet; at every few steps a grasshopper would leap away, visible in flight, then usually invisible again on the sand. I took many photos of empty sand where I was sure one had landed, then finally found one on round rocks, where it didn't blend in quite so well.

It's a pallid-winged grasshopper, Trimerotropis pallidipennis.

Males grow to 3.5 cm, females to 45. I think this is a female. It's much larger than the next one.

A bit further down the shore, I met this little one, well camouflaged against dried seaweeds. It was about half the length of the others.

iNaturalist says it's a Camnula sp. Probably the Clear-winged grasshopper, Camnula pellucida. These grow up to 3.2 cm. long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hoy era el dia de la provincia, BC Day, un lunes hermoso al final de un fin de semana de 3 dias, y todas las playas estaban llenas; niños y perros corrían y saltaban en el agua, los adultos se rodeaban de sillas plegadizas y sus paraguas (parasoles, mejor dicho; el sol quemaba). Yo caminé en la orilla del mar en Oyster Bay, observando la arena en frente de mis pies. Saltamontes se echaban a volar cuando me acercaba; no los veía hasta que saltaban, y al aterrizar de nuevo se volvían invisibles. Saqué muchas fotos de arena limpia, vacía, donde creía haber visto bajar otro saltamontes. Por fin uno se detuvo sobre piedras redondas, donde no funcionaba tan bien su camuflaje.

  1. Un saltamontes de alas pálidas, Trimerotropis pallidipennis.
  2. Los machos miden hasta 35 mm. de largo; las hembras llegan a 45 mm. Creo que esta es hembra, y es bastante más grande que el saltamontes siguiente.
  3. Un poco más adelante, encontré este saltamonte pequeño, aprovechando las algas marinas secas como camuflaje. Estaba más o menos la mitad del tamaño de los otros. Dice iNaturalist que es Camnula sp. y probablemente sea el saltamontes de ala clara, Camnula pellucida. Estos saltamontes llegan apenas a 32 mm. de largo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger