Tuesday, August 04, 2026

Sunny gumweed. And some bees.

Gumweed among the dunes and atop the dike at Oyster Bay. And a few pollinators.

Glowing blooms among the dried logs.

Grindelia integrifolia. Found from BC to Oregon, in areas damp in winter, bone dry in summer. The buds exude a white, very sticky resin that oozes down and makes the whole plant stick to my fingers.

A pair of sweat bees too busy to collect pollen.

As it turns out, sweat bees mate during visits to flowers, making them invaluable as pollinators. (UICharlotte)
So romantic!

Another gumweed, another bee, head down.

And another bee, this one with a fuzzy yellow band on the abdomen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Estas son fotos de hierba goma, Grindelia integrifolia, y algunos de sus polinizadores, en las dunas de Oyster Bay.

    1. Parecen pequeños soles.

    2. Se encuentran desde Colombia Británica hasta Oregon, en sitios que en invierno permanecen húmedos, pero que en verano son bien secos. Los botones exudan una goma blanca, muy pegajosa, que luego se extiende por toda la planta.
    3. Dos abejas de sudor (halíctidos) apareándose.
Resulta que las abejas de sudor se aparean durante sus visitas a las flores, lo que les hace polinizadoras invaluables. (UICharlotte)
¡Tan románticas!

    4. Otra flor, y un abejorro, de cabeza buscando polen.

    5. Y otro abejorro; este tiene una banda amarilla peluda en el abdomen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger