I've got a busy few days coming up; visiting family, travel, fun ... A perfect time to turn to the photos I've left on hold. Like these; a couple of my midnight visitors; tiny beasties that came to bask under my bedside lamp.
| I'm pretty sure this is the Brown Pine Lacewing, Hemerobius stigma. This one was about 5 mm. long. |
| Top view. |
| And even smaller; a pretty wasp. |
iNaturalist suggests that this is an Ichneumonid wasp; these are parasitoid wasps, and there are thousands of species.
Ichneumonids are notoriously hard to identify: aside from the sheer number of species, there are numerous cases of distant relatives that appear almost identical. Any identification based solely on comparing images should be treated as suspect unless an expert has said there are no lookalikes for the species or group in question.(BugGuide)That's it for tonight. Hasta mañana.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Por unos dias voy a estar muy ocupada; espero visitas de la familia, y estaremos viajando ... Es el momento perfecto para ver las fotos que he reservado para "más tarde". Como estas; dos de mis visitantes nocturnos; insectos pequeños que se detuvieron en la pared bajo la luz de mi lámpara de mesita de noche.
1. Crisopa parda, (alas de encaje), Hemerobius stigma, creo. Este mide unos 5 mm. de largo.
2. Visto desde arriba.
3. Este era más chiquito. Una avispa. iNaturalist sugiere que es una avispa icneumónida; estas son avispas parasitoides, y hay miles de especies.
Los ichneumónidos son notoriamente difíciles de identificar: aparte del número enorme de especies, hay muchos casos de especies lejanamente relacionadas que parecen ser casi idénticas. Cualquier identificación que se basa solamente en la comparación de imágenes debe ser vista como dudosa sin que algún perito haya confirmado que no hay avispas parecidas a la especie o el grupo de que se trata.(BugGuide)

No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.
Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!