Thursday, April 09, 2020

So black!

In a damp spot near the bottom of the hill in yesterday's bit of forest, on a knee-high alder stump completely encased in moss, I found these tiny black mushrooms.

Black earth tongues in Oregon beaked moss.

Growing in rows a couple of inches tall.

Skinny, pimply, with clipped, sometimes split tops.

They're earth tongues, but I couldn't determine the species. I've looked at hundreds of photos in the family Geoglossaceae, and all the ones I've seen have a sort of spoon-shaped tip, most smooth, some hairy. None that looked like these.

Here's a collection on INaturalist: Family Geoglossaceae.

On the side of the stump. One has a cozy leaf blanket.

I looked at other heaps of moss in the vicinity; I didn't see any others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

En una parte húmeda del bosquecito de ayer, encontré un tronco corto de aliso, más o menos de la altura de mis rodillas. Está completamente envuelto en musgo (Kindbergia oregana), creciendo en medio del musgo, estos honguitos negros.

Son "lenguas de tierra", de la familia Geoglossaceae, pero no pude determinar la especie.

Busqué alrededor, pero estos eran los únicos visibles.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:16 pm

    Such an interesting mushroom. I've never seen anything like it. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger