Saturday, April 11, 2020

Company on the hill

From the first forest walk, I returned to the logging road and went on up the hill. Now I stopped at a side road, going into a logged-off area.

Recovering.
Seedling trees, saplings, dried ferns from last year, bits of salal. And dried stumps.

Here there is no moss. The sun has baked the old stumps; the ground underfoot is hard and dry.

Closer to the edge of the cleared area, a stump harbours salal and a huckleberry shrub (the red twigs).

From the road, a faint trail led off across the hill. Looked like an elk trail to me.

See it? I followed it to the edge of the hill.

There were a few faint elk tracks, not clear because the ground is so hard, so covered with dry branches left over from the logging. But there was a patch of elk scat.

Elk scat, not fresh, with bits of dead fern on top.

But no elk. Maybe down in the valley ...

Google Earth view. Next trip, I'll go all the way to Pye Lake.

Time to go home. I walked back to the car, crawled down the hillside, dodging potholes. So I was going slowly enough to see the grouse watching me from behind a huckleberry bush. I stopped; so did she. We sat and watched each other for a few minutes. When I rolled down the window to get a photo, she turned and went into the trees.

Photo or no photo, I was happy to have seen her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Desde el bosquecito, regresé al coche y seguí cuesta arriba. Encontré otro caminito que cruzaba un area donde habían cortado los árboles hace unos años.

Aquí no había musgo; todo es seco, duro, tostado por el sol. Pero el bosque se está recuperando. Hay arbolitos, retoños, y jóvenes. El suelo está cubierto de helechos, los del año pasado, ya secos.

Un tronco al lado del bosque protegía plantas de "salal" (Gualtheria shallon) y de "huckleberry" (Vaccinium parvifolium), dos arbustos que se llenarán de frutillas en el verano, alimentos para pájaros y osos.

Un sendero apenas visible cruzaba el camino; parecía hecho por alces. Lo seguí por un rato. Las huellas que vi eran ligeras; el suelo está muy duro. Pero si había caca de alce.

En camino a casa, bajando el cerro despacito por los hoyos en el camino, tuve la suerte de ver una gallina fuliginosa que me observaba desde la sombra de un arbusto. Me detuve; tambien ella. Nos sentamos mirándonos por unos minutos. Cuando por fin bajé la ventana para sacar una foto, ella se dió vuelta y desapareció entre los árboles.

Con o sin foto, me sentí privilegiada de haberla visto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger