Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Up Pye Road West

The day was sunny and warm. I took the highway north. Beyond Roberts Lake, I saw a logging road I hadn't investigated and headed up it.

Near the bottom, a trail went off into the forest. I parked and followed it.

First stop.

The human trail soon petered out, but a narrower trail wandered off uphill. So did I. It was a bear trail; I saw a few wide, round tracks, and a log torn apart, where a bear was looking for grubs. But in the daylight, it looked like I was alone. There was no sound except for the crackling twigs underfoot.

Open forest: ferns, moss, Oregon grape. Many downed, dry, crackling twigs.

Burned nurse stump. The new tree has split it in half.
Half a tree

Near the top of the woods, I turned back. At the bottom of the hill, the moss was thicker; there was a trickling stream winding through.

Fallen tree, with mossy roots.

Tomorrow: what else I found there. No, not a bear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hacía sol, y un poco de calor; por fin pude dejar la chamarra. Tomé la carretera que va hacia el norte. Pasando el Lago Roberts, vi un camino de madereros que aún no había explorado. 

A no muy gran distancia, un caminito se dirigía dentro del bosque. Me estacioné y seguí el camino, que resultó ser muy corto. Pero otro sendero, no hecho por humanos, subía entre los árboles; lo seguí.

Era un camino de osos. Vi varias huellas, grandes y redondas, y un tronco viejo que el oso había hecho trizas, buscando hormigas o gusanos. Pero en ese momento, en el dia, parecía que yo estaba sola.

El bosque era abierto, con el suelo seco cubierto de ramas viejas, crujientes. Había un poco de musgo, algunos helechos, mucho silencio.

Cerca del final del bosque, di vuelta y regresé. Allá abajo, un riachuelo corría tranquilamente; el musgo era más espeso. Un árbol caído tenía las raices cubiertas de musgo.

Las otras dos fotos son de un tronco "criadero". El árbol a que dió albergue lo ha partido en dos.

Mañana: lo que encontré allí. No, no fue un oso.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:24 am

    Beautiful forest there and a lovely walk. Looking forward to your next post to see what else you saw there.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger