At the edges of the entrance to a logging road, I found this tiny flower in the pea family; Bird's foot trefoil.
![]() |
| Lotus corniculatus, with a developing pea pod. |
This is an introduced species, native to Africa and Eurasia. In some areas it is considered an invasive species. It needs lots of light to establish itself; hopefully it will stay out of our shady rainforests.
![]() |
| It's pretty, though. |
It is a fairly good forage plant for deer and goats, and bumblebees love it. So there's that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Estas flores las encontré en los márgenes de la entrada a un camino de forasteros. Pertenece a la familia de las leguminosas; aquí lo llamamos Pata de ave de tres hojas; también se conoce como pie de gallo, o trébol criollo. Es una especie introducida, originaria de África y Eurasia. En algunos lugares en este continente, llega a ser invasora. Pero requiere bastante luz para establecerse, lo que puede limitar su crecimiento en nuestros bosques pluviales. Ojalá.
Fotos: Lotus corniculatus.



No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.
Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!