Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Painted by rain

On the way home from the beaver pond, I stopped in at a favourite summer sit spot.  A short distance off the highway, there's a faint trail going down to a wide rock outcropping covered, in summer, with dry, crunchy, brownish moss. A good place to sit in the sunshine, listening to the wind in the evergreens, watching the dragonflies zipping back and forth. There must be a creek, or a small pool, down there by the roots of the trees. In spots, where the rock is cracked, saskatoons and huckleberries grow. Single stems of grasses poke up through the moss, waving their heads. I sit until the sun starts to burn, then climb the hill again to the bustle and hurry of the highway and the town.

No sitting this time. After two weeks of rain, the moss is soaked; my shoes are soon wet. And now it has changed colour to a bright, almost neon yellow-green.

Top of the rock.

I was looking for mushrooms; all that rain surely must have encouraged them. And yes, I found them. They're all over, in that photo above, but so small they can't be seen at any distance. I had to get my knees wet to get photos.

4 mushrooms here. Do you see the fourth?

I stopped to take photos of lichen on a few stumps, but now it was raining again, and I was hurrying.

Lichens, mainly Cladonia sp., and moss.

On my way back up the hill, I turned to check out the weather; was that clear sky over there? Well, sort of.

Mostly grey, mostly wet.

Back at the highway a bit of the rock, where the road crews cut through to build the highway, shows how thin that layer of moss is. Just a layer of bright paint, a fingertip deep.

The rock is too solid, mostly, even here where construction has cracked it, for the trees to get a good footing.

The pale yellowish lines in the trees behind the rock are where the recent storms broke the trees, splitting the wood as the top fell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

En camino a casa después de visitar la laguna de los castores, me detuve en un sitio donde me acostumbro tomar el sol en el verano. A poca distancia de la carretera, hay un senderito, apenas marcado, que baja hasta un afloramiento rocoso cubierto, en el verano, con una capa de musgo seco, crujiente, de color café claro. Es un buen lugar para sentarme, allí en el sol, escuchando el murmullo de la brisa entre las ramas, mirando las libélulas que van y vienen; debe haber un riachuelo o un pocito de agua en el arroyo. En sitios donde la roca está agrietada, crecen los saskatún y los arándanos rojos (huckleberries). Tallos de gramíneas se erigen sobre el musgo, agitando sus cabezas. Yo me quedo sentada hasta que el sol me empieza a quemar, y luego subo el camino otra vez, hacia el apuro y ruido de la carretera y el pueblo.

No me pude sentar esta vez. Después de dos semanas de lluvia, el musgo está empapado; en poco tiempo mis zapatos también lo estaban. Y ahora el musgo ha cambiado de color; es un verde/amarillo fuerte, casi fluorescente.

Foto #1: Parte del afloramiento con su musgo amarillo.

Buscaba hongos; por cierto, con toda esa lluvia los debe haber. Y sí; en abundancia, pero tan pequeños que no se ven sin agacharse. Me tuve que mojar las rodillas para verlos de cerca.

Foto #2: Cuatro honguitos. ¿Puedes ver el cuarto?

#3: Me detuve a sacar fotos de troncos con líquenes, pero ya estaba lloviendo de nuevo, y me estaba apurando. Aquí, un tronco con líquenes, principalmente Cladonia spp. y musgos.

#4: Subiendo por el camino, me di vuelta para mirar el cielo: ¿iba a seguir lloviendo, o no? Había un poquitito de cielo azul.

#5: Al llegar a la carretera, hay un corte en la roca, hecha para pasar la carretera, y muestra cuan delgada es la capa de musgos. Un baño de pintura apenas, de la profundidad de la primera articulación de uno de mis dedos. La roca es tan sólida, aun aquí donde las constructoras de carreteras la rompieron, que los árboles todavía no han logrado establecerse. Las lineas amarillas entre los árboles atrás de la roca son troncos pelados donde las tormentas recientes los rompieron.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger