Monday, August 08, 2022

Sit spots

In praise of gimpy knees. On the trail, I tend to keep moving, going on and on with only brief stops to take a few photos. But since last year, my right knee protests, tells me to stop, to sit, to become part of the scenery for a bit.

Looking for candystick plants at Lupin Falls, I climbed the hill until my good knee started to grumble, then turned back. On the way down, I found my plants, then came near the bottom of the hill to Lupin Creek, at this time of year a mere trickle. I sat on a stump there; it was so peaceful, so quiet, so green. The air smelled of needles and drying wood. A bird called somewhere overhead.

The "lawn" is moss.

My knee was better when something new alerted me; a smell of bear, a perfume compounded of outhouse, wet dog, with a touch of that sickly sweet aroma of a garbage dump in hot weather. I saw nothing, no movement in the undergrowth, but I got up quietly and tiptoed on down the trail. As I went, the smell faded; I was going in the right direction.

Next sit spot: I passed the parking lot and followed the trail down to the lake edge. No bear smell, many buzzing bees and a couple of dragonflies. And the lake. Here, the water is high, and willows are growing half submerged.

Buttle Lake, from Lupin Falls trail end, looking north.

And back to the car and on the road again; there was still more to look for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doy gracias por rodillas adoloridas. Tengo la costumbre de seguir siempre adelante, andando y andando, sin parar más que por un momento para sacar unas fotos. Pero desde el año pasado, mi rodilla derecha se pone de malas, me dice que me detenga, que me sienta, que me incorpore en el ambiente por un tiempecito.

Buscaba las plantas "bastón de caramelo" en el sendero hacia las cataratas Lupin; es un cerro bastante empinado; subí por el camino hasta que mi rodilla buena empezó a quejarse también, y entonces di vuelta. Bajando por el cerro, encontré mis plantas, y luego llegué cerca del pie de la montaña al riachuelo Lupin, casi seco en esta temporada. Allí me senté en un tronco. ¡Tanta paz había, tanto silencio! ¡Tan verde era! El aire olía a hojas de pino, a madera seca. Un pájaro cantó, invisible en la copa de los abetos.

Foto: el bosque y el riachuelo seco. Lo que parece césped es musgo.

Estuve allí un buen rato; la rodilla ya se sentía bien, cuando otra cosa me llamó la atención. Un olor, el olor de un oso; un olor compuesto de letrina rústica, con aroma de perro mojado, y un dejo de ese olor dulce pero asqueroso de basurero en tiempo de calor. No veía nada, y nada se movía entre el bosque, pero me levanté y baje por el sendero tan silenciosamente como pude. Mientras iba, el olor iba disminuyendo; bien, iba alejándome del animal.

Y el segundo sitio donde me senté: pasando el estacionamiento, bajé hasta la orilla del lago Buttle. Allí no había olor a oso. Solo las abejas muy ocupadas buscando polen, y una pareja de libélulas. Aquí si había agua; el lago cubría varios sauces hasta la mitad.

Foto: el lago Buttle, desde el pie del sendero de las cataratas, mirando hacia el norte.

Y regresé al coche, y a la carretera; todavía había más cosas que quería ver.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger