Saturday, December 04, 2021

Another view of Hoomak Lake

The weather people promised us snow earlier this week. We got rain instead. Now they say it will be tomorrow.

I got impatient; couldn't wait. So I drove north, looking for snow. I found frost, in spots, but no snow. So much for taking things into my own hands.

I went as far as Hoomak Lake, just out of Woss. 120 km. from home, but as it works out on the map, only 20 km. to the north; the rest of the distance, as the crow flies, is to the west, to the interior of the island, where it should be colder.

But there was no snow; barely any even on the mountain peaks.

Hoomak Lake was still and dark when I arrived, at 3:30. The sun had dropped behind the mountains already, though sunset wasn't due for another three quarters of an hour.

View from the bottom of the stairs and the beginning of the trail.

Trees and mist on the far shore.

I'd been here several times before, once, three years ago, looking for snow, which I didn't find that time, either. Still, it's a pleasant drive, between evergreen walls and through drifting mists. Worth it, snow or no snow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Los meteorológicos nos prometieron nieve hace unos dias. Llovió. Ahora dicen que neverá mañana.

Se me acabó la paciencia. Tomé la carretera hacia el norte, buscando nieve. Encontré, en algunos sitios, escarcha. No había nieve. No se le fuerza la mano a la Sra. Naturaleza.

Llegué hasta el lago Hoomak, cerca de Woss, a 120 km. de la casa, pero viendo la mapa, solo 20 km hacia el norte; lo que resta del camino, a vuelo de pájaro (si es que algún pájaro alguna vez vuele en linea recta) va hacia el oeste, hacia el interior de la isla, donde debe hacer más frio.

Pero no había nieve, casi ni en las cimas de las montañas.

El lago Hoomak estaba quieta y oscura cuando llegué, a las 3:30 de la tarde. El sol ya se había ocultado tras las montañas, aunque la puesta del sol, sin montañas en medio, no sería hasta las 4:15.

Fotos: el lago desde el pie de las escaleras, y el principio de los senderos que dan vuelta al lago, y el lado opuesto del lago, con la neblina.

He estado en este sitio varias veces. Una vez, hace tres años, tambien vine buscando nieve sin encontrarla en esa ocasión tampoco. Pero de todas maneras es un paseo lindo, entre muros formados por los árboles, y pasando por neblinas flotantes. Vale la pena, con o sin nieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger