Friday, June 04, 2021

Pink and purple

This past month, everywhere I've  gone, I've found flowers. I take their photos, of course, but then they get set aside while I look at other things. And now I've got a whole folder full of them.

So: flowers. Pink and purple today.

Nootka rose, Rosa nutkana.

This rose is named for the Nootka tribe, more properly called the Nuu-chah-nulth, who lived on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Only about 300 speakers of the language remain today. But the roses are everywhere.

My neighbours' camelia.

And another.

French lavendar, Lavandula stoechas

Purple columbine, Aquilegia vulgaris. This is an introduced species; the local one is red or orange.

A tiny bluebell found beside a gravel pit. With fly and buttercup. Common harebell?

Does a poppy count as purple? Definitely not pink! With a foraging bee.

Unless you look under the 16-legged critter on the seed factory.

Tomorrow, the yellows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Este mes recién pasado, en dondequiera que haya ido, me he encontrado con flores. Les saco fotos, claro está, pero luego me ocupo de otras cosas, y las flores se quedan en el archivo. Y ya el archivo está repleto.

Así que, aquí subo unas flores. Por hoy, color de rosa, color lila y morado.
  1. La rosa nativa de estas costa, Rosa nutkana, llamado así por la tribu de los Nutka, o como se nombran ahora, los Nuu-chah-nulth, quienes viven el la costa del oeste de esta, la isla Vancouver. En estos dias solo quedan unos 300 personas que hablen su idioma. Pero las rosas están en todas partes.
  2. Una camelia en el jardín de mi vecina.
  3. Otra del mismo arbusto.
  4. Flores de lavanda francesa, Lavandula stoechas.
  5. Aquilegia vulgaris. Es una especie introducida; las nativas vienen en colores de rosa y anaranjado.
  6. Una campanita miniatura que crece a solas al lado de una gravera. Puede ser, tal vez, la Campanula rotundifolia. Con su mosca y un ranúnculo.
  7. Las amapolas cuentan como flor morada ¿no? Ya sé que no son color de rosa. Este trae una abeja buscando polen.
  8. Pero sí, hay algo color de rosa. Abajo de esa criatura con 16 patas en el centro.


2 comments:

  1. I saw something you might like. Bees were on the flower stalks of my willow. They were not bothering with the nectar, but crawled up and down until covered in pollen. Then they flew off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a generous season; they had probably had their fill of nectar already. (My wild guess.) Now the job is to collect pollen to feed the hive.

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger