Saturday, August 15, 2020

Back of the beaver pond

 I went for another walk around the beaver pond:

Lily pads and reflections.

The view from the highway. I keep hoping to see the beavers, but not so far. There are ducks, always, on the far side of the pond, and swarms of dragonflies and bluets.

Lily pads and floating pondweed, Potamogeton natans.

The pondweed has two distinct types of leaves: the floaters, oval and coppery-green; and the underwater leaves, which are long and thin, like grass.

Hardhack and bee.

Hardhack lines the shore, and the sides of the dike that crosses the pond. It likes wet feet.

I crossed the pond and followed a road that led up the hill, then down to the back side of the pond.

Just a road. Alders, evergreens, and fireweed.

In the bush, I saw movement. A round rump, blackish. Could have been a large deer, could have been a small bear. (It looked bearish to me) No worries; I wasn't bothering it, and it ambled off, behind a group of alders. I went on my way, quietly.

One of the bluets. A bit blurry; they don't stand still for long and the wind was blowing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fui a visitar, otra vez, la laguna de los castores. Todavía no he visto ninguno de los animales, aunque siempre se ve que han estado trabajando en la madriguera. Pero siempre hay patos en la laguna, y una variedad de libélulas.

Las hojas flotantes grandes son de lirios de agua, y las hojas chicas son de potamogeton. Esta planta acuática tiene dos tipos de hojas; las flotantes tienen forma de óvalo y son de color cobre verdoso. Las hojas que permanecen bajo el agua son largas y verdes; parecen pasto.

Las spireas douglasii crecen alrededor de la laguna, siempre con las raices mojadas.

Crucé la laguna y seguí un camino que sube el cerro y luego baja hacia el borde opuesto de la laguna. En camino, entre los arbustos, vi un bulto oscuro; las ancas de un venado grande o un oso chico. Pronto desapareció tras los alisos. No había de que preocuparme; yo no le ofrecía ninguna molestia. Seguí mi camino tranquilamente, sin hacer ruido.

La última foto es de una de las libélulas, una de las muy pequeñas, muy azules, a las que llamamos "bluets".



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger