Thursday, August 13, 2020

Color-coordinated log and conk

 Red belted polypore, on recently-cut log.

Fomitopsis pinicola

This is maybe the most common conk that I see. The fruiting body, the conk, may be red, black, brown, or any combination of these, with white or yellow on the bottom.

It lives on dead wood, as this one on a recently cut log, or on wounds in live conifers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Este hongo, el poliporo de cinta roja, es probablemente el hongo más visto en nuestros bosques. El cuerpo fértil, el "conk", puede ser rojo, negro, café, o una mezcla de estos colores, con la base en blanco o amarillento.

Vive en madera muerta, como aquí, o en heridas en la madera viva de las coníferas.

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen one. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good reminder never to take anything for granted.

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger