Saturday, August 15, 2020

Leftovers

 I turned over a board beside the road and found this:

The remains of a shed snake skin

That would be a garter snake; they're the ones we find around here. It's as I found it, belly up.

Zooming in, to show the pattern of scales.

I loved the texture of the belly scales; almost silky. I was going to flip the skin over to see the top side, when the wind picked the whole thing up and blew it into the bushes. So light it was!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Volteé una tabla al lado del camino, y encontré esto. Es la piel de una culebra rayada, Thamnophis sirtalis, el más común en estos rumbos, que se escondió bajo la tabla para mudar la piel.

Las escalas del vientre son suaves, casi como seda. Iba a voltear la piel para mirar las escalas del dorso, cuando el viento la agarró y la echó entre los arbustos. ¡Tan ligera que es la piel!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger