This June beetle came in my window late at night. I captured her in a bamboo kitchen towel and carried her outside. Where she refused to leave the towel. So I got some photos.
![]() |
| She's a Long-Haired June beetle, Polyphylla crinita, female. |
![]() |
| The Ten-Lined June beetle is almost identical, but P. crinita has hairs on the pronotum; P. decemlineata has scales. BugGuide has some good photos. |
![]() |
| Males have huge, showy antennae; this is a female. I like her fur-lined jacket! |
![]() |
| Full side view. |
When I went out at dawn, she was gone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Este escarabajo de junio entró por mi ventana casi a medianoche. Una hembra. La capturé con una toalla de bambú y la llevé afuera, pero se rehusó a desprenderse de la toalla, y pude sacar unas fotos, ya que se quedaba quieta.
- Es una escarabajo de junio de pelos largos, Polyphylla crinita.
- El escarabajo de junio de diez lineas, Polyphylla decemlineata, es casi idéntico, pero tiene escalas en el pronoto (la primera sección del tórax, detrás de la cabeza). P. crinita tiene setas en el pronoto. Hay unas buenas fotos en BugGuide.
- Los machos tienen antenas muy grandes; esta es una hembra. Me gusta su chamarra forrada con pelo, ¡tan calientito!
- Cuerpo entero, visto desde un lado.
Cuando salí en la madrugada, se había ido.





No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.
Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!