Friday, August 14, 2026

New guide book: Plants of the Pacific Coast

My new plant guide, Plants of the Pacific Coast, replacing the 32-year-old Plants of Coastal British Columbia, has arrived! Both are by Pojar and MacKinnon; this new one includes two more authors, Leigh Joseph (Styawat) and Jamie Fenneman.

Looks good; better photos, much more detail for each plant, updated ids. At first glance, it seems to include fewer species, "over 700" as opposed to 794 in PCBC, but then I realized that it does not include a section on lichens, nor the true mosses. Which is fine; I've now got the big new Lichen book. I'll have to find myself a moss book next.

I did appreciate the line drawings of leaves and seeds and plant shapes for every plant in the old book; this one has left them out.

I looked up the yarrow I took photos of at Oyster Bay a week ago. The description in this new book uses the old one, but adds extra information.

Achillea millefolium. With a fly.

More, with another fly.

This is included, as before, in the huge Aster family; the old book says the family comprises over 21,000 species; now it's grown to 23,000. And now there are 50 pages of local aster family plants, up from 38.

Oh, and there's no Scotch tape holding this new book together. That will come, I'm sure, with time and use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ha llegado mi nuevo libro-guía, Plants of the Pacific Coast, que viene a reemplazar "Plants of Coastal British Columbia", que ya pasa de los 32 años. Los autores de ambos son Pojar y MacKinnon; además este libro nuevo incluye dos autores más, Leigh Joseph (Styawat) y Jamie Fenneman.

Este se ve muy bien; las fotos son mejores, para cada planta incluida hay más información, y los nombres científicos se han puesto al corriente. A primera vista, parece que el libro no incluye tantas especies como el anterior, siendo "más de 700" especies en el nuevo, comparado con 794 en el viejo, pero luego me di cuenta que este libro se limita a plantas, y no incluye los líquenes. Ni los musgos. Y puesto que ya tengo el nuevo libro grande de Líquenes, no me hace falta. Pero tendré que buscar un buen libro sobre musgos.

Pero me gustaban los dibujos sencillos que mostraban las formas de hojas y plantas para cada planta incluida en el libro viejo; en esta nueva edición los abandonaron.

Busqué la descripción de la aquilea que vi hace una semana en Oyster Bay. A base de la descripción antigua, añadieron más detalles útiles.

Fotos: Achillea millefolium

Esta planta la incluyen, como antes, en la familia grande de los Ásteres. Dice el libro viejo, que en esta familia hay más de 21.000 especies; el nuevo menciona 23.000. Y mientras el libro anterior incluía 38 páginas de ásteres, ahora hay 50.

Otra cosa; en este nuevo libro las páginas no se mantienen en sitio con cinta adhesiva. Eso vendrá con el uso.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger