Thursday, November 21, 2019

A pair of lifers. Mushroom lifers.

I've never seen mushrooms like these before. Puffballs, I see often, in parks, in the woods, in lawns; they're easy to identify, new or old or long gone. At first glance, I thought the first batch of these were old, burst puffballs. But different, somehow.

They have an open pore at the top; our usual puffballs break all at once, usually along the sides.

There were hundreds of these along the shore trail, all about at this stage.

They acted like regular puffballs; when I stepped on them, they released clouds of brown spore dust.

Huddled together in the grass, under dead leaves.

Farther along the trail, I came across more apparent puffballs, but without the top central pores. And when I looked more closely, I realized that they have strong, thick stalks.

The stalks were mostly hidden under the leaves and the soil.

But a few had been exposed, by wind, probably. Not by me.

Cracked and somewhat shrunken cap. And yes, they released spore dust, too.

And these caps have collapsed in on themselves, leaving mainly stalks.

My guide (Audubon) has one photo of a mushroom that looks like the first batch, with the pores at the top: the Buried-stalk Puffball, Tulostoma simulans.

The guide describes them like this: Spore sac: ... roundish to acorn-shaped, with small, tubelike mouth projecting at top; sand-covered, dark reddish-brown. (Their photo shows pale beige mushrooms, no reddish-brown anywhere.) ... Stalk, ... thick, scaly, fibrous rust-brown, often entirely buried.

I didn't know about this, so I didn't see the stalks. I will have to go back tomorrow to dig some up.

The second batch of mushrooms were larger; compare them to the leaves in the photos. I haven't found photos of these anywhere. I'll send photos in to INaturalist and some mushroom identification sites, to see if anyone can id them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger