Sunday, April 28, 2019

More perfect tinies

I couldn't identify these flowers. They grew in the shade beside the path, only a few inches tall.

Pale pink flowers, and one bud.

A few more, a bit blurry, with two growing seed pods.

The flowers have 4 petals and 4 sepals, and barely open at the tip before they fall, leaving the fertilized ovary to develop. At most, the flowers are about 1/2 inch long.

Update: It's been identified for me, on Twitter. It's European field bitter-cress. Cardamine pratensis, aka cuckoo-flower, cuckoo bitter-cress, or lady's-smock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger