Saturday, April 27, 2019

A promise of future blooms

It's still early in the season for the rest of our wildflowers. But they're coming!

At the base of a stump, a patch of false lily-of-the-valley leaves. At the top, a salmonberry sprout and a couplle of stalks of (I think) Hooker's fairy bells.

About the false (aka western) lily of the valley, E-Flora says:
Occurs ... on very moist to wet, nitrogen-rich soils ... on water-receiving and water-collecting sites, commonly found on stream-edge sites, floodplains ... Grows with ... Lysichitum americanum (skunk cabbage). Characteristic of alluvial floodplain forests.

Pretty much describes the Nunns Creek wetland.

Young horsetail spike. With lily of the valley leaves and ivy (invasive here).

The fertile stems of common horsetail show up early in the spring, mature and die before the leafy stalks (non-fertile) appear.

Hooker's fairy bells, Disporum hookeri. One flower is open; the rest are still in bud.

Another trillium. I think the red dot is a red velvet mite. It's too small to be sure, but the colour and size are right. Blown up to 400%, I can see the shadows of the legs.

And since they were everywhere, another pink fawn lily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger