Tuesday, November 13, 2018

All messed up

I came across this mushroom growing on the remains of a log in the Oyster Bay forest.

One mushroom, two, or more?

The main part of the mushroom is at least a foot across (reminder to self: carry a tape measure!). The chunks to the lower right may be a second specimen. The flesh was solid and dry to the touch, slightly softer than the shelf fungi that grow on our trees, off-white with a greenish tinge.

Even up close, the only scents noticeable were of old wood, drying fir needles, and moisture.

There was no sign of slug feasting, but the mushroom was badly broken up. This is off the trail and there was no sign of human footprints. What broke the mushroom? A bear, maybe?

I have no idea what mushroom this is. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger