Saturday, August 22, 2026

End of summer by Campbell Lake

Driving across the island, I stopped in at the campground at the top end of Upper Campbell Lake. Midweek; there should be some shady spot to park and rest a while. But no; every campsite was full; the trails and the beach were busy. I found a parking spot up by the gate and walked down to the water.

View from the last bit of shade. The shore vegetation hides boats pulled up on both sides.

Looking across to the Elk River trestle bridge. With a couple of kayaks underneath.

The water level is low; the stones and sand on the beach is hot. These stumps are usually underwater.

This summer hasn't felt as hot and dry as a couple of years ago, but many of the mountain tops where I usually see snow are now bare. And the Upper Campbell Lake - Buttle Lake water level is 'way below normal. 

Lower than 90% of historical readings for August 23. (NIBIMetrics)

But it rained, briefly, this afternoon. And more is expected next week. Things are looking up.

Next: some of the plants on that dry shore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cruzando la isla, me detuve en el primer sitio para acampar en el lago Upper Campbell. Era jueves, a media semana; creía encontrar un sitio bajo la sombra del bosque para descansar un rato. No; el campamento estaba lleno, también los caminos y la playa. Encontré lugar para estacionar cerca de la entrada y caminé hasta la playa.

    1. Vista desde donde todavía había un poco de sombra. Las plantas esconden barcos en la orilla a ambos lados.

    2. El puente de caballetes que cruza el lago cerca del campamento. Con dos grupos de gente en kayaks.

    3. El nivel del agua es muy bajo, y las piedras y arena de la playa están calientes. Estos troncos casi siempre están cubiertos de agua.

Este verano no se siente tan caliente y seco como hace unos dos años, pero he notado que muchas de las cimas de las montañas que normalmente están nevadas, ahora están desnudas. Y en el sistema Upper Campbell Lake - Buttle Lake el nivel del agua es bastante bajo lo acostumbrado.

Menos que 90% de los niveles histórico para el 23 de agosto. (NIBIMetrics)

Pero llovió, un poco, esta tarde. Y esperamos más la semana que entra. Y no falta mucho para que empiecen las lluvias de otoño.

Siguiente; unas de las plantas que vi en esa playa seca.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger