Thursday, November 15, 2018

Red lipstick and white reindeer

A few lichens from the edge of Oyster Bay forest:

Coastal reindeer lichen on old, wet wood

Look for the bright red spot near the pointer on the upper left; the tip of a lipstick Cladonia; and near the bottom left, I think that scaly lichen is a Dragon Cladonia.

"Roughly 70 species of Cladonia occur in our region, making this one of the most diverse of lichen genera." (Plants of Coastal British Columbia)

Spiky-branched lichen, a few pixie cup Cladonia, moss, and fir needles.

More of those spiky lichens behind a mushroom

And a whole mini-forest of lipsticks.

1 comment:

  1. Our cliff is covered in reindeer lichen. I love the contrast between white and the green of other mosses and lichens. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger