Sunday, August 12, 2018

By water's edge

The trail along the south side of the Campbell River is well advertised and busy, leading from just north of the townsite to Elk falls and the popular suspension bridge just below the hydro facility. On a warm weekend, foot traffic is dense with joggers and runners, chattering groups, serious hikers in boots, fisher folk coming and going from their favourite holes, and walkers like me.

I chose the almost unmarked trail along the north shore. I met no-one, heard nothing but bird calls, creaking tree branches, and the constant murmur of running water.

The hillside is steep and the trail rises and falls. At times, there is a view over the river, 'way down there, to the hills and mountains beyond.

Or the path drops to follow a stream down in the valley.

Mossy maple, towering overhead.

Quiet pool in another stream: river water taking the long way down to the estuary.

Another creek, not the main river bed.

Sunlight through trees casts green lights on the water. Another shallow creek.

In case you needed a snack; where there's water and sunlight, there are bound to be blackberries.

A ray of sunlight makes shadow patterns on a rock.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger