Sunday, August 16, 2026

A grind of blackbirds

The Brewer's blackbirds were having a convention down at Tyee Spit. A noisy, chattering bunch, all very busy with their convention duties.

Euphagus cyanocephalus, male. The scrap of paper is a cigarette label; I didn't see it at the time. The legend reads: "Fumee du tabac est toxique". (Tobacco smoke is poisonous: obligatory warning on all tobacco products in Canada.)

The female is a plain, greyish brown, sometimes with dark eyes, sometimes with a bit of yellow.

Part of his workout routine?

Reception commitee. Not exactly welcoming.

In the distance, a work crew, 32 females.

Looking grumpy; it's that yellow eye that does it.

(The collective noun for a flock of blackbirds, including the Brewer's, is a cloud or a grind.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Los tordos de Brewer se habían reunido para un congreso en Tyee Spit. Era un grupo muy activo, pájaros todos intentos en su tarea, pero sin dejar de platicar.

  1. Euphagus cyanocephalus, macho. El papel es parte de la etiqueta de un cigarrillo; el aviso dice, "Fumee du tabac est toxique". (El humo de tabaco es tóxico: advertencia obligatoria en cada producto que contiene tabaco en Canadá.)
  2. La hembra se viste de color pardo; a veces tiene ojos oscuros, a veces con amarillo.
  3. ¿Parte de su programa de ejercicios?
  4. El comité de recepción. No tiene aspecto muy hospitalario.
  5. En la distancia, un grupo (32) hembras, muy ocupadas.
  6. Los machos tienen una mirada al parecer malhumorada; debido, creo, a ese ojo amarillo.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger