Saturday, December 03, 2022

Tenacity

The snowplow came and I went out for a long drive, and a short walk, some of it through snow up to my knees. Trees and lakes (3) and a river, all white and smooth and gleaming, even the packed snow of the road once I was off the highway. And then I came home and found this at my front door.

My sweet peas, still doggedly producing flowers, snow or no snow.

My iron birds in their iron birdbath.

I hadn't noticed, until I downloaded the photo, the two sprouts of alyssum, one already flowering. Doing fall cleanup a couple of weeks ago, I cut the whole patch down, They're not giving up, not them!

And this was along the road, near Mirror Lake: towhees are ground foragers, but their ground was under a foot of white stuff, so they were picking at the bedraggled leaves still hanging on the bushes.

And then another car went by and they all flew away.

The temperature went down to -8° Celsius yesterday, A bit low for this location, but not the lowest it has been historically. Now it's back up to 2° above zero, and rain is on the schedule. So the snow will melt, down by the shore at least. Not up where the towhees were; that's a bit over 200 metres above sea level, enough to make a difference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Llegó el quitanieves, y yo tomé la carretera y caminos hacia el oeste. Un paseo en coche largo, y una caminata corta, en parte abriendo camino en nieve que me llegaba a las rodillas. Los árboles, los lagos (3), un rio, todo era blanco, liso, brillante, hasta el camino de nieve comprimido una vez dejada la carretera. Y luego llegué a casa y encontré esto esperándome frente a mi puerta.

Fotos:
  1. Mis guisantes de olor, todavía produciendo flores. Con o sin nieve, a 8° bajo cero o no; persisten.
  2. Dos pájaros de hierro (uno cubierto de nieve) en su fuentecito de hierro. No había notado en el momento, pero luego vi esos dos brotes de flor-de-mel. Hace unas semanas, haciendo la limpieza de otoño, corté las plantas hasta el suelo. No se dan por vencido.
  3. Y esto no es en casa. Al lado del lago Mirror (Espejo) vi unos pipilos entre las ramas. Normalmente son pájaros que buscan su comida en el suelo, pero ahora su suelo está bajo 30 centímetros de nieve. Y estaban buscando en las hojas desbaratadas que todavía siguen colgadas bajo el amparo del árbol de hojas perennes.
La temperatura bajó hasta 8° bajo cero Centígrado ayer. Algo más bajo de lo acostumbrado en esta zona, pero no sin precedente. Pero ahora ya subió a 2° sobre cero, y nos prometen lluvia. Entonces la nieve desaparecerá, por lo menos aquí al nivel del mar. Pero persistirá allá donde viven los pipilos; ese rumbo está un poco más de 200 metros sobre el nivel del mar, suficiente para hacer la diferencia.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger