Friday, December 02, 2022

December Happy file folder

 And now we do have snow! While I wait for the snowplows to come by*, I'm digging into the "Things that Make me Happy" file again.

Snow makes me happy, so I'll start off with this, from last year:

Snow piled at the edge of the Elk Falls parking lot. Higher than my car.

Ice crystals on moss on a cement block. Two weeks ago.

An amphipod pausing for a second to look at me.

Red-tipped Lipstick Cladonia lichen in an old, old log.

Detail of a vintage tin mirror frame from Mexico.

An anchored sailboat in the mist. Campbell River estuary.

*Why I wait for the snowplow. I'm on a sidehill; the street at either end of my block is steep and slippery, even in rain. In an emergency, I can get out: I do have the snow tires on and a shovel in back. But I'd rather not have to dig myself out, and save my energy, instead, for walking in a snowy wonderland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

¡Ahora sí que nevó! Mientras espero a que pase el quitanieves**, estoy mirando otra vez mi archivo de "Cosas que me hacen feliz".

  1. La nieve siempre me trae felicidad, así que empiezo con esta foto, del año pasado. La nieve amonotonada en el estacionamiento de las cataratas Elk. Un montón más alto que mi coche.
  2. Cristales de hielo cubriendo musgos en un bloque de cemento. Esto de hace dos semanas.
  3. En el acuario, un anfípodo se detiene un segundo para mirarme.
  4. Unos líquenes Cladonia spp., probablemente el llamado "Lapiz labial", en un troncón viejo.
  5. Detalle de un marco de espejo de hojalata (el marco) que mi hija me trajo de México hace años.
  6. En el estuario del rio Campbell, un barco velero duerme en la neblina invernal.
**Porque me quedo esperando el quitanieves: este lugar es puro cerro, subiendo precipitadamente desde la carretera al lado de las playas. Mi calle sale por ambos extremos a caminos empinados, bien resbalosos, aun cuando apenas está lloviendo. Bajo nieve, los coches patinan. Si hay emergencia, puedo salir, ya que tengo llantas para la nieve, y una pala en el maletero. Pero prefiero no tener que excavar el coche y en cambio ahorrar energías para caminar en un paraíso de nieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger