Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Well, that was a short walk

In my search for non-smoky air, I went to the Sayward turnoff, gave up, and headed back south. The Dalrymple Creek trail, just south of the turnoff, beckoned; maybe under the trees, among the ferns, the air would smell green.

Not quite. The last time I walked the trail, two years ago, everything was damp, down there in the deep shade. Now it's all dry. The moss crunches underfoot, the air smells of dying evergreen needles. The creek bed holds a slow trickle of water between dry stones.

Still green and brown.

And everywhere trees were down. Freshly fallen logs lay on top of others, also still showing recently-broken wood. The trail makes a loop; I took the upper leg, and soon found the trail blocked by a tree, still bearing green needles, but broken in long sections. I returned to the lower trail. And there, too, a fallen tree stopped me.

Awkward

I decided not to crawl under the log.

Even on the truncated walk, I found many shelf fungi.

They're more blue than black here.

Red-belted polypore, Formitopsis pinicola.

And another. I managed to get low enough to see the underside of this one.

Stacked shelves.

There were no other mushrooms; it is too dry. The huckleberries are ripe, but flavourless this year.

Links to a previous visit: 
  1. The creek, when it held water.
  2. The trees.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
En la búsqueda de aire sin humo, fui hasta donde la carretera sale para Sayward, sin éxito; me di por vencida y volví hacia el sur. Y allí el sendero del riachuelo Dalrymple, me llamó; tal vez allí, bajo los árboles, entre los helechos, habría olor a "verde".

Pues no. La última vez que visité todo estaba húmedo; ahora está seco, sequísimo. El musgo cruje bajo mis pies, el aire huele a hojas muertas. En el riachuelo, un lento chorrito de agua se cuela bajo las piedras secas.

Foto: el bosque. Sigue verde.

Y dondequiera, había árboles caídos. Troncos recién tumbados descansan sobre otros que todavía muestran madera apenas rota. El sendero hace un círculo; tomé la ruta que subía el cerro, pero pronto encontré el camino bloqueado por un árbol caído, todavía con todas sus hojas, pero roto en secciones por el golpe. Regresé al camino al lado del riachuelo. Y allí también había otro tronco.

Foto: el sendero, con un tronco grande caído encima.

Tendría que gatear para seguir adelante. Desistí.

Pero en ese tramo cortito, hubo muchos hongos políporos.

Fotos: Fomitopsis pinicola.

No hubo otros hongos; está demasiado seco. Los arándanos rojos están maduros, pero este año no tienen sabor.

Links: la visita hace dos años. El riachuelo, cuando hubo agua. Y los árboles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger