Thursday, June 30, 2022

Questioning the snags

 Walking down a shady trail, stopping to look at old wood:

Still standing, barely.

If this snag could talk, it would have quite a story to tell. Did it snap off because it was rotten? Or did it rot because it was broken and dying? Who has been digging holes in it? Who has lived in those holes? I stand and stare, wondering.

Bare naked tree. Holding a tray full of moss.

This one, still standing tall, has lost all of its bark, top to bottom. Why?

Orange jelly on the cut end of a log. With shiny, fat beetles.

Crews were out as we passed by, cutting off logs that had fallen across the trail, creating new habitat for dead wood fungi.

I saw some interesting things on this walk, that made me return for a closer look today. And now I found something else, something that showed up on the photo, not to my eyes. So back I go tomorrow, with a lens and a flashlight. The woods are full of mystery!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Caminando por el bosque, me detengo a mirar troncos viejos.

Foto #1: Un tronco que apenas se mantiene en pie. Si pudiera hablar ¿qué nos contaría? ¿Se rompió porque estaba podrido, o se pudrió porque el viento lo rompió? ¿Y quién le ha estado excavando? ¿Qué criaturas han hecho sus refugios en esos agujeros? Lo miro y quedo asombrada.

Foto #2: Este árbol, todavía con su altura normal, pero sin hojas, se ha desnudado; no tiene ni un poquitito de corteza. ¿Porqué?

Foto #3: En el extremo cortado de un troncón, surgen brotes de hongos, la jalea anaranjada, Dacrymyces chrysospermus. Algunos escarabajos, pequeños, gorditos, le rodean.

Mientras pasábamos, unos jóvenes estaban cortando troncos y árboles que habían caído sobre el sendero, creando así nuevos habitats para más hongos.

Vi algunas cosas interesantes en este paseo, cosas que hacían necesario otra visita hoy para mirarlas con más atención. Y ahora, veo otra cosa que no vi al momento, pero que apareció en las fotos. Mañana, si no llueve mucho, regreso otra vez, con un lente y una linterna de mano. ¡El bosque está lleno de misterios!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger