Saturday, July 02, 2022

Sit spots

My old knee aches when I climb hills, even small ones. Sometimes that's a good thing. It forces me to slow down, sit down, stop and gaze. On the trail on Thursday, I sat on logs and listened to the chatter of the river, the murmurs of the trees overhead, the comments of busy birds. The moss on the logs made a soft cushion, freshly-cut wood added its spice to the air. The forest was painted in a zillion different shades of green. An eagle, far above, called to its mate.

Mossy logs, freshly-topped snags, huckleberries, ferns ...

A small island here splits the river into two beds; this side is shallow, flowing and splashing over rocks.

Maidenhair fern, in deep shade beside the water.

Thanks, old knee!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Una de mis rodillas siente sus años y se queja cuando subo y bajo los cerros. Hasta en los senderos no tan inclinados.

Pero no está mal. A veces me hace detenerme, sentarme, quedarme viendo lo que me rodea. Este jueves, escojí varios troncos que me sirvieron como asientos. Y desde allí escuché la plática del rio, el murmurar de los árboles, los comentarios contentos de los pajaritos. El musgo hacía un buen cojín sobre los troncos, y el aroma de madera recién cortada perfumaba el aire. El bosque lucía docenas de distintos colores, todos verdes. Allá arriba, sobre el banco opuesto del rio, un águila llamaba a su pareja.

Fotos:

Los troncos cubiertos de musgo, un par de troncones recién cortados, helechos y huckleberries, y más ...

Aquí una islita divide el rio en dos; esta rama, de poca profundidad, fluye, saltando y salpicando, sobre rocas.

En la sombra al lado del agua, había un helecho "pelo de muchacha", Adiantum pedatum.

¡Gracias, rodilla vieja! Fue un placer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger