Tuesday, May 03, 2022

Shelves, bubbles, and burn spots.

Still following the trail along the river banks: a selection of fungi, mostly polypores, on trees and logs.

Red-belted polypores on the cut end of a log. With fungal duck.

More red-belted polypores, with a "weepy" fungus.

On a mossy trunk, an orange "bubble". It may be a young red-belted: knob-like when young.

This I had never noticed before: see how the light bounces off the mushroom to project a warm glow onto the bark.

Spreading the sunlight

Too far up on a trunk, too far off the trail to get close, I saw a very large artists' conk. 

Side view.

As close as I could get.

These conks can get up to 30 inches across, according to my guidebook, although I have never seen one that large. I have one at home about half the size of this one; I measured it once I got home, and it's 10 inches across.

Sorocybe sp.?

This looks like a burnt patch on an old maple, slightly raised, hard to the touch. There were several spots, higher up on the trunk, all seeming to be growing where branches have broken off. I posted the photo on Field Naturalists of Vancouver Island, and am told it is a Sorocybe or similar reisinicolous fungi.

And a small stump, covered with turkey tails.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sigo con fotos del paseo al lado del rio Campbell; aquí unas fotos de hongos que crecen en los troncos de los árboles, o la madera cortada, por su mayor parte poliporos.

  1. Hongos Fomitopsis pinicola, el poliporo de cinta roja; este tipo de hongo también se conoce como hongo repisa. En un tronco cortado.
  2. Otros de los mismos, y con un hongo, sin identificación, con sus gotitas de sudor.
  3. Otro, éste siendo un ejemplo juvenil; toman forma de repisa al madurar. Lo que me llamó la atención, es como el hongo refleja la luz del sol, proyectando un color calientito a la corteza del árbol.
  4. El mismo, de cerca.
  5. Algo lejos del camino, y muy arriba en el tronco, vi otro hongo repisa, este del tipo hongo de artista, Ganoderma applanatum. Estos crecen hasta 75 cm de ancho, aunque no me acuerdo de haber visto uno tan grande. Pero éste es uno de los más grandes que he visto; más o menos el doble de uno que tengo en casa, que mide 25 cm.
  6. El mismo, de otro punto de vista.
  7. Este hongo negro crece en un arce de hoja grande. Es duro, no se despega, parece un quemazón. Había varios en el tronco, todos parecen estar en sitios donde se rompió una rama. Subí la foto al sitio de Naturalistas de la Isla Vancouver, y allí me dicen que es un hongo resinicolo, tal vez del género Sorocybe.
  8. Un tronco cortado, cubierto de cola de pavo, Trametes versicolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger