Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Pacific Coralroot

I took a short walk down through the Elk Falls forest. Short, at least in distance, because I kept having to stop and kneel in the duff to look at orchids.

Pacific coralroot, Corallorhiza mertensiana

This is a saprophyte; it gets its nutrients from an association with fungi. And the fungi get their nutrients symbiotically from the roots of trees. So the evergreen tree far above sustains both the fungus and the orchid at its foot.

There are no leaves. But there's an ant.

They were growing in fairly deep shade, surrounded by salal and moss.

And another one. With salal leaves.

I checked with Inaturalist; they had 18 records of this orchid near Campbell River, all of them around Elk Falls, most on the same path I was on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Di una vuelta corta por el bosque conífero de Elk Falls. Corta, por lo menos en lo que se refiere a la distancia, porque a cada rato me tuve que hincar en el musgo para mirar las orquídeas.

3 fotos: Corallorhiza mertensiana. Se llama así por la raiz rizomatosa que se parece a un coral.

Es una especie de orquídea saprofita, es decir, no contiene clorofila, y obtiene sus nutrientes por su asociación con hongos. Y estos hongos, en su turno, obtienen sus nutrientes de las raices de los árboles. Así que el árbol de hoja perenne, allá arriba, sostiene tanto el hongo como la orquídea a sus pies.

Esta orquídea no tiene hojas. No las necesita.

Crecen en sombra densa, asociados con musgos y el arbusto "salal". En la tercera foto se ven las hojas de esta planta.

La busqué en el sitio Inaturalist. Tenían 18 reportes de esta orquídea cerca de Campbell River, todas estaban en el rumbo de Elk Falls, la mayoría en el mismo sendero donde yo las encontré.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger