Wednesday, June 09, 2021

Twinflowers, again

 Good thing I was looking for orchids. Otherwise, I probably would have missed these.

Twinflowers, Linnaea borealis.

The flowers grow up about 1 cm. long, two on a Y-shaped stalk.

Compare to the size of the moss behind them.

I knew I'd seen them before; searching the blog, I realized that it was in about the same spot on the Elk Falls trail, two years ago, in June.

They say the flowers are fragrant; I didn't notice, even though I was down nose to nose with them. Maybe next time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suerte que estaba buscando orquídeas en la sombra; si no, creo que no habría visto estas florecitas. Son flor gemela, Linnaea borealis. Las flores miden alrededor de 1 cm. de largo, y la planta las lleva, dos gemelitas en un tallo en forma de "Y", apenas alzadas sobre el musgo.

Me recordaba haberlas visto antes; rebusqué en el blog, y me di cuenta que fue en aproximadamente el mismo sitio en el sendero hacia Elk Falls, en junio del año antepasado.

Dicen que las flores llevan un dulce perfume; yo no lo noté, aunque estaba en el suelo cara a cara con las flores. Tal vez la próxima vez.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger