Friday, December 04, 2020

Beaded branches

 I give up. I can't identify this little tree.

I've passed it many times, tucked into the edge of the woods beside the meadow at Oyster Bay, and never stopped to look at it until a couple of weeks ago. And it's weird.

Short, stubby branches, like stacked buttons on a string. I've faded the background to make it stand out.

A longer branch.

And another. I call this one the dancers.

The tree is a small one, about 2 metres tall. Leafed out, I never noticed it. Now I have to wait for spring for a clue as to what it is. Unless someone knows. Do you?

The full tree. The bark is smooth and grey.

I thought of mistletoe, which makes short, deformed branches, but only, here, on evergreens. And this has a different growth pattern. And the whole tree?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me rindo. He estado tratando de identificar este arbolito, y no lo encuentro en ninguno de mis libros guía. Crece a las orillas del bosque en Oyster Bay. Lo he pasado mil veces, pero nunca me fijé en lo extraño que son las ramas.

Son todas cortas, y parecen una pila de botones o tal vez cuentas enhebradas. El árbol mide apenas 2 metros; nada más hay uno. La corteza es lisa, un gris plateado.

Se me ocurrió que podría ser una especie de muérdago, pero ese parásito crece, aquí, en árboles de hoja perenne, y no cubren el árbol entero. Y tienen una forma diferente.

Tendré que esperar hasta la primavera para ver las hojas; tal vez eso me ayudará con la identificación.


4 comments:

  1. Many rose family plants make these sort of spur branches when stressed. By me it's apple, pear, but look at the old wood on this amelanchier from BC: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/65870346 . I would ignore the stems and try to find a match for the pointy little buds and the smooth bark of the main trunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara. There are a couple of bitter cherry trees in the vicinity, and maybe a crabapple, going by the spring flowers. I compared it to the old apple tree at the end of the meadow; the buds look similar. I'll go back and look at the bark of the other trees.

      Delete
  2. Que perplejo! Una tipo de manzana? Si vivemos, cuando hay hojas y flores,podemos entendre la cosa. Parece como una rosacea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, parece que es una especie de manzana chica.

      Delete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger