Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Happy event

Well, this was exciting! I was dusting in the hallway and looked at the underside of a wood carving. And see what I found there:

A fat cellar spider. 

And would those be eggs in her big belly?

She didn't appreciate the duster, and moved up to the ceiling. So I followed, and then kept checking on her, several times a day:

Watching me, watching her.

She did some vibrating dances to discourage attention, but had to rest occasionally.

Still watching me.

A day later, in the next room.

And tonight, a week later, when I checked on her, she looked skinny, and longer. I climbed on a chair to see better, and, Yes! those had been eggs in her belly.

Proud mother.

Pocket camera shot, showing all those long legs.

If she stays put (I hope she does), I may be able to see the spiderlings developing, showing off their baby legs even while they're inside the eggs. 

The spider: cellar spider, Pholcus phalangioides. Female, obviously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nunca sabes lo que te espera; iba tranquilamente haciendo los quehaceres de la casa. Estaba sacudiendo una talla de madera en el pasillo, y mira lo que encontré escondida abajo:

    1. Una araña fólcida bien gorda.

    2. Y esas cosas en su abdomen, ¿serán huevos?

No se sentía a gusto con el plumero tan cerca, y se mudó a un sitio protegido bajo el techo. La seguí, y luego seguí buscándola varias veces diarias:

    3. En el techo azul cielo, mirándome que la miraba.

    4. Se puzo a bailar el baile suspendido que usan para confundir otros predadores, pero por fin descansó.

    5. Me sigue observando.

    6. El día siguiente, en la cocina.

Y esta noche, una semana después, cuando la vi estaba delgada, y parecía estar más larga. Me subí a una silla para verla mejor, y ¡Sí! Esas cosas que había llevado en el abdomen eran sus huevos.

    7. La madre orgullosa.

   8. Foto con la cámara de bolsillo, mostrando sus patas largas.

Y si permanece guardando su cría en el mismo sitio (Ojalá) tal vez podré ver cuando las arañitas empiezan a desarrollarse; con buena luz, se pueden ver sus patas antes de que salgan de los huevos.

La araña es Pholcus phalangioides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger