Saturday, May 02, 2020

Blurding report

I posted this photo to the Facebook page, "The Worst Bird Photographs Ever". And then decided it was really the most representative photo from a few hours of bird-watching, so here it is.

Turkey vulture # 2, fleeing the scene.

I had taken a logging road leading off the highway, looking good, even paved for the first few curves, then wide and well-travelled. It led off through mostly logged-off country, abandoned and recovering. There were bogs and swamps and cliff-sides and cuts through bits of forest. I stopped often, just looking around.

Everywhere, there were birds. Little brown birds, just disappearing into the undergrowth, a flash of black wing among the reeds, a quick sliding behind a woodpecker snag, a spark of yellow just dropping into the shrubbery, a flock of distant ducks over a lily-pad pond. None slow enough, or near enough to bother with the camera.

But even with the motor running, and the tires crunching over loose gravel, I could hear them, chirping, calling, peeping.

I stood beside a cattail swamp for a while, hoping to see a flash of red or hear the red-wing blackbird call, but no; there was just a constant muted conversation going on among the stalks. Could be because of the hawk that had arrived just as I got out of the car, and was now perched on a branch overlooking the clearing. Oh, well.

On my way back to the highway, I came around a curve and saw a turkey vulture by the side of the road.

Turkey vulture # 1.

I stopped the car and rolled down the window. When the camera poked out, he took a brief look at me, and left, stage left. I was about to leave, when another barrelled out of the ditch and hurried away: that was photo #1, Turkey vulture #2.

I went to look; they'd been feasting on a well-aged deer carcass. Not photo quality, a bit stinky. You have to wonder about the vulture's taste buds.

 A totally successful birding outing clear photos or no. I came home happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subí esta primera foto a la página Facebook, "Las peores fotos de pájaros". Y luego, pensándolo, decidí que era la foto más representativa de esta tarde de observación de aves. Así que, aquí está.

Había tomado un camino de madereros que salía de la carretera; un camino bien cuidado, amplio, hasta pavimentado durante las primeras vueltas. Cruzaba terrenos ya talados, pero recuperándose. Había pantanos, cerritos, pequeños precipicios, algunos pasajes por medio de bosquecitos de abetos y cedros. Me paraba frecuentemente, no más para mirar.

Donde quiera había pájaros. Pajaritos cafecitos, en el acto de desaparecer entre los arbustos, un vistazo a una ala negra entre los juncos, un movimiento lateral en el tronco de un árbol muerto (un pájaro carpintero, escondiéndose), una chispa amarilla, un grupo de patos distantes al otro lado de una laguna cubierta de lirios de agua. Ninguno suficientemente cerca o lento como para sacar la cámara.

Pero aún con el motor prendido, y sobre el crujir de llantas sobre grava, podía oir las voces; cantando, haciendo pío pío, conversando.

Me quedé parada al lado de un pantano por un rato, con las esperas de divisar las marcas rojas del ala de un tordo alirrojo, o de oir su canto primaveral. Nada. Solamente se oía la conversación en voz baja allá entre las raices. Tal vez se debía al halcón que había llegado apenas me salí del coche, y que ahora miraba el pantando desde una rama seca. Ni modo.

En camino de regreso, encontré un buitre parado al lado del camino. En cuanto apagué el motor y bajé la ventana, me miró por un segundo, y se largó. (La segunda foto.) Ya me iba, cuando otro salió de repente de la zanja, volando hacia el derecho. (La primera foto.)

Fui a investigar; habían  estado comiendo un venado, ya carroña vieja. Olía mal. No me imagino cómo funciona el sentido de gusto de estos buitres.

Un dia de gran éxito, me parece, con o sin fotos. Llegué a casa contentísima.






2 comments:

  1. I always get excited to see Turkey vultures as well. It's a sign of hot summers ahead.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger