Sunday, February 17, 2019

No name lake

Seen in passing.

Lake with a sort of swimming platform, accessed by swimming, I guess.

Vancouver Island is dotted with hundreds of lakes like this. Some smaller ones have names; some larger ones don't. This one is between Echo Lake and Mirror Lake, along a private logging road with access for summer recreational use. On Echo Lake, there is a pier and campsites; here, it's just a gravel road passing by.

Not seen in the photo: the call of a lovesick eagle in the distance, the rustle of dried grasses and waterside plants, the smell of dust and dying wood, spiced with fresh evergreen needles. Nor the potholes in the road, ever increasing in size and depth, until I had to turn back, not wanting to lose an axle on the back side of nowhere.

Some of the little lakes I passed this day, two weeks ago, wore a thin skin of ice; this one lies in full sun and there's not a hint of ice, even near the shore.

Now, of course, the banks are deep in slushy snow. It snowed again today. Then rained on the snow, of course: this is coastal BC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger