Monday, September 17, 2018

Rain, mist, misty greens.

The fall rains have arrived. And very welcome, too!

Sunday afternoon. Rain, off and on. And the logging trucks are off the roads. I found a Forest Service road at Berry Creek, dropping down from the hills over Upper Campbell Lake, and drove up about 4 km, until the road got too rough for my little car. When it stopped raining for a few minutes, I would get out and walk.


From my first stop, looking back downhill. The orange pipes are an old gate, now rusted too much to be used, I think.

It is peaceful up there, away from the highway. The only sounds are the wind tiptoeing through the branches, the gravel or scree crunching under my slow tires, and the occasional cry of a woodpecker. I drove with the windows down as often as possible, just listening. And breathing; cool, moist, rain-scented air. I found myself grinning like an idiot as I drove.

Second stopping point, looking back over the highway I'd come from.

Higher up, the road followed Berry Creek, far below. I could hear the water rumbling along far down in the valley, but even leaning as far as I dared over the cliffside, I could see no sign of it.

Creek valley to the left, Upper Campbell Lake at the bottom.

Another car passed me as I was stopped at a wide spot in the road. And re-passed me, going downhill now, at the next stop. The driver and passenger were grinning like idiots, too.

Up near the top, where the road is extremely steep, the rain had chosen the middle of the road to make itself a new creek, washing away the small stones and gravel, leaving the bones of the mountain to hammer at mufflers. I crawled along at 5 kmh until I found a flattish spot, turned around and crept back down, foot on the brake all the way.

And still grinning.

1 comment:

  1. +1 from someone who would also be grinning like an idiot.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger