Sunday, September 16, 2018

Brown spotty eyes

The darner catching her breath in a flowerpot before she flies away ...

A "motorcycle helmet" head.

Dragonflies (and bees) have the largest compound eyes of any insect; each containing up to 30,000 facets, and the eyes cover most of the insect’s head, resembling a motorcycle helmet. In contrast to a human eye, each facet within the compound eye points in a slightly different direction and perceives light emanating from only one particular direction in space, creating a mosaic of partially overlapping images. (Grrlscientist, ScienceBlogs)


Side view. The plant is a succulent, gifted and unidentified.

I left her resting there. When I went back to check, she had gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger