Monday, February 19, 2007

Couldn't resist: I'm stealing some of these!






*I linked once before to this site, as part of a web experiment. I've been eyeing their badges page, and have finally decided that I am entitled to a few.

I know, I know, it is a general assumption that this is for working scientists. Which I am not. However, they do say that
"ANYONE IS WELCOME TO USE THESE BADGES"
and they allow even children to collect one. So, having rationalized my way into "accepting" an honour or two, I hereby proceed to post my badges and qualifications.

First, "The 'talking science' badge. Assumes the recipient conducts himself/herself in such a manner as to talk science whenever he/she gets the chance. Not easily fazed by looks of disinterest from friends or the act of "zoning out" by well intentioned loved ones." Yup.

"The 'I've touched human internal organs with my own hands' badge." Done. Not for a while, though. Back in the 60s, in university.

"The 'has frozen stuff just to see what happens' badge." Oh, yes.

"The 'inordinately fond of invertebrates' badge.In which the recipient professes an arguably unhealthy affinity for things of this category." Which leads to that "zoning out" observed in older loved ones.

"The 'I know what a tadpole is' badge." You mean there are people that don't?

"The 'experienced with electrical shock' badge (LEVEL III) In which the recipient has had experience with the electrical shocking of himself/herself." Uh-huh. Both accidentally and on purpose.
And finally, "The 'science has forced me to seek medical attention' badge. In which the recipient has had to pay a visit to the hospital as a result of scientific work." Again, 'way back in the 60s, when I picked up a particularly vicious variety of fungus in the Microbiology lab.

And that's the truth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*OOTSSOERAAAP = "Order of the science scouts of exemplary repute and above average physique". And I know I don't have an "above average physique". But I assume that most of the other badge collectors are in the same boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger