Thursday, July 28, 2011

Literate dog and pooping caterpillar

In Strathcona, even the dogs are strange:

Woof! (Guarding a garage door.)

For the moment, though, I'm back home in Delta. Here, things are normal. Sort of.

This moth was sleeping behind my bag of chicken manure. I had to practically stand on my head to get near enough for a photo. I couldn't reach him to capture him without moving too much stuff.

He has an interesting "collar", so I stooped even lower ...

... and zoomed way in. So he woke up and flew away, leaving me stumbling over bags and stools.

I've got a green caterpillar on my desk, skeletonizing a young kale leaf left over from the party the other day. It matched the leaf so perfectly, it almost got cooked. Now its darkened a bit, and is almost twice the size it was when I found it. (The leaf is about half the original size.)

Busily eating, night and day.

The half-inch of water in the bottom of the jar is full of caterpillar poop.

And I'm babysitting a ladybug pupa that's getting ready to break out. I'll have photos later on.

But that's all perfectly normal, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. It would be normal in my house anyway.

    Check if larvae pupates underground other wise you might have problem.

    Just posted about my new shed / desk that I reckon you'll appreciate. Less smart than my proper office but I'll bet I work there more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that post about the shed last night (really this morning) just before I went to bed, and drifted off to sleep daydreaming about one. It's perfect!

    Mine would have all sorts of tools on a bench, shelves full of bottles and jars and bug containers on the wall, a big box of odds and ends that may be useful some day. Maybe a little microwave for meals at the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:54 am

    I love having seen this post of yours! My son and I took some pictures of some caterpillars and chrysalises at his elementary school (in Portland, OR), but we didn't know to what kind of butterfly. Now we know. Here's my post with pictures:
    http://exploreportlandnature.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/transforming-caterpillars-in-unlikely-places/

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger