I mentioned a caterpillar bed. I didn't see the actual caterpillars, just their bedrolls, presumably occupied.
![]() |
| Leafroller caterpillar's bed. This guy's been eating his sleeping bag. |
![]() |
| Another, sheltering a tidier sleeper. |
A Google image search suggested that these tubes are made by the larva of the dogwood leaf roller moth, Acleris cornana. Always iffy, these Google results, even when I specify the location. iNaturalist gives a whole list of suggestions; among them are moths of this same family, the Tortricids. And there are two records of Acleris cornana here on the island.
The leaves were well above my head, out of reach, so I couldn't open them. The shrub was the Red Osier Dogwood, Cornus sericea.




No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.
Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!