Friday, December 08, 2023

Mushroom in a tutu

 I will never catch up. I have a stack of mushroom photos waiting, and a pile of bird pics, and then I went out shopping yesterday and ran across a bunch of tiny earth tongues by the sidewalk. And then this morning, the deer were back at my kitchen window; more photos waiting in the camera now. Where to start, where to start?

With a mushroom wearing a frilly tutu.

Short and broad, cream to tan.

This next one is a metre or so away. One of the same species, but newer?

Just starting to fray around the edges.

These grew under an old arbutus. On the far side of the tree, there were several clumps like this:

Black-topped, with tan flesh. Among fragments of arbutus bark and dried oak leaves.

And these:

Well past their sell-by date. Same species?

And there were a couple of young-uns.

Are these all the same species? The only thing I find similar in my Guide is the Blackening Russula, which starts out white and ends up black. But their gills are brittle, not fraying, not hanging down the stem. So: two species, maybe three.

It doesn't really matter, does it? I'm not planning to eat them. I just love to watch them, and speculate.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Nunca me voy a poner al corriente. Tengo un montón de fotos de hongos haciendo cola, y una docena de fotos de pájaros, fotos de montañas y de neblina, y ... Y ayer salí de compras y encontré un grupo de lenguitas negras de tierra al lado del camino. Y esta mañana, los venados llegaron a mi ventana de nuevo; las fotos están todavía en la cámara. ¿A dónde empezar?

Con un hongo que lleva un tutú
  1. El hongo, con laminillas desbaratadas, y el sombrero ondulado. Crece debajo de un madroño, Arbutus menziesii.
  2. Otro parecido, entero. Tal vez la misma especie. Crece al lado del primero.
  3. Y al otro lado del árbol, se encuentran estos rodeados de tiras de corteza de madroño y de hojas secas de roble.
  4. Y estos, ya bien deshechos.
  5. Un chiquitito, negro. 
 Estando juntos así, me pregunto si serán todos de la misma especie. Pero el único que encuentro en mi libro guía que se parece es el Russula nigricans, que empieza su vida completamente blanco y se vuelve café y finalmente negro con la edad. Pero las laminillas de éste no se desbaratan en tiritas, así que creo que tenemos dos especies, o tal vez tres.

Pero, al fin, no importa. No los pienso comer. Solamente me gusta celebrarlos, y hacer preguntas.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger