Thursday, December 07, 2023

With a little help from a lens

I bought myself a new (to me, at least) lens, a 55 - 200 mm zoom*, with a longer reach than my old lenses, and took it out for a walk to see how it would look at the world. And, as luck would have it, there was a Cooper's hawk sitting in a winter-bare alder some distance away.

Merlin, Falco columbarius Correction: Cooper's hawk, Accipiter cooperii

So far, so good. The tree was in a scrubby area, surrounded at its base by an impenetrable barrier of the invasive Himalayan blackberry. Wanting a back view, and if possible, a closer view, I scouted around among the salmonberry stems, then followed a path that curved around the area. Got a bit closer.

Side view. He's keeping an eye on me.

The trail led all the way around to the back, with the tree mostly hidden behind a curtain of bare shrubbery. And then there was a clear space.

Checking me out with the other eye.

Very offended, preparing to leave.

Goodbye!

And he was gone in a speeding blur.

I'm sorry, little hawk; I meant you no harm. The camera only clicks, it can't reach you up there on your tree surrounded by blackberry tangle.

But of course, the bird couldn't understand that; he has no experience of ground-based barriers.

*The lens is fairly lightweight, only 255 gm., an issue given my old, shaky hands and shoulders. I envy those people with their long lenses, picking out the eyelashes on a distant eagle. But those lenses can weigh several kilos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me compré una lente de segunda mano para mi cámara, un objetivo 55 a 200 mm. Tiene un alcance al doble de mis otras lentes*. La llevé a pasear, para ver que descubriría. Y por suerte, vi un falcón entre las ramas desnudas de un aliso.

  1. Esmerijón, Falco columbarius Me equivoqué. Es un gavilán de Cooper, Accipiter cooperii.
  2. El objetivo ve mejor que los otros. El árbol estaba en medio de un área de arbustos, y rodeado por completo con un lio impenetrable de ramas de la mora invasiva, Rubus sp. Queriendo ver el pájaro por detrás, di vueltas donde se podía entre los arbustos, encontrando un caminito que daba la vuelta al sitio y me permitió acercarme un poco. Aquí, visto de lado, el esmerijón me sigue con los ojos.
  3. El camino siguió entre arbustos altos, escondiendo el árbol, pero por fin llegó a un espacio libre donde me ofreció una vista clara de la espalda del falcón. Ahora me observaba con el otro ojo.
  4. Algo molesto, decidió irse.
  5. ¡Adiós! Y se alejó rapidamente.
Lo siento, falconcito, no pensaba hacerte ningún daño. La cámara solo hace clic; no te alcanza allá arriba, protegido como estás por esa maraña de moras.

Pero, claro está, el pobre pájaro no pudo entender eso; no tiene experiencia alguna de barreras al nivel del suelo.

*El objetivo no pesa mucho, apenas unos 255 g., lo que es de importancia dados mis manos y hombros ancianos. Tengo que confesar que siento envidia de esa gente con sus lentes enormes que pueden discernir las pestañas de un águila en la distancia. Esos objetivos pueden pesar varios kilos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger