Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Keeping BC green

 It's a good thing I like rain. We get plenty of it. Here I get my knees and the back of my jacket wet, bending low over the ground at the edge of the forest on a drizzly afternoon. Wet leaves, soggy mushrooms, pearly spider webs.

The green and pink leaves, I think, are kinnikinnick.

Crumbling cap

The green leaves here are an invader from the disturbed ground around the parking lot, hairy cat's ear. And check out the tiny raindrops trapped in the spiderweb at the foot of the mushroom.

Newer mushroom, collecting rain in a shallow bowl. Douglas-fir needles are up to 3 cm. long.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me gusta la lluvia. Suerte, porque en la isla llueve mucho. Aquí, al borde del bosque, bajo una llovizna persistente, con las rodillas y la espalda de la chaqueta mojadas, me inclino a mirar hojas y hongos y las gotas de lluvia capturadas por una telaraña.
  1. Las hojitas verdes y color de rosa, creo, son "kinnikinnick", Archtostaphylos uva-ursi. (A. uvas de los osos.) Una planta muy pequeña, nativa a la región. Las hojas llegan a medir hasta 3 cm.
  2. Un hongo que ya se desbarata bajo la lluvia. Las hojas son de una planta, "orejas de gato peludas", Hypochaeris radicata, que ha invadido desde los bordes del estacionamiento; más adentro del bosque no se encuentran. Al pie del hongo, mira la telaraña.
  3. Otro hongo, este nuevecito. Las agujas del abeto de Douglas miden cerca de 3 cm., también.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger