Sunday, December 10, 2023

Deer at the window again

 About those deer at my window:

They showed up last July; two fawns and their mother. The fawns were still spotty, probably around 3 or 4 months old. I haven't seen them since, but I know they've been coming by, because they keep eating my nasturtium leaves, leaving the stems standing bare.

I happened to be near the window when the youngsters came by a couple of days ago. They've grown, but are still shorter than the mother was.

Watching me and my camera. The white spots are rain on my window.

Eating stonecrop that is spreading through the grass under the window.

(Yes, I know the grass needs mowing: it will stay that way until spring. With a load of snow on top, the extra grass will provide cover for ground-level beasties.)

The second deer, a male, crossed the road to check a yardful of flowers in pots. He's developed a nice set of antlers. He may be the brother to the one at my window, or, judging by the antlers, a companion, a full yearling.

Turning back to look at me, outside now.

Anybody home?

One more shot: caught just as the deer turned to leave, hiding most of the body behind my house plants on the windowsill. I kept the photo because it showed the hairs so well; my new lens is doing a good job. But then I noticed how thick that fur is. She will be well protected from the winter chill.

Fur coat on the tail end.

And they nipped off the leaves on my nasturtiums again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Acerca de esos venados:

Me visitaron por primera vez en el mes de julio pasado, dos venaditos y su madre. Los chicos todavía llevaban sus manchas blancas; tendrían unos 3 o 4 meses de edad. Desde entonces no los he visto, pero sé que han vuelto, ya que siguen comiendo las hojas de mis capuchinas, dejando los tallos intactos.

Estuve cerca de la ventana cuando llegaron los dos jóvenes hace un par de dias. Ya crecieron, pero no alcanzan al tamaño de su mamá todavía.

  1. Muy cerca, mirándome y a mi cámara. Las manchas blancas son gotas de lluvia en el vidrio de la ventana.
  2. Está comiendo mis plantas suculentas Sedum sp. que se están mezclando con el césped bajo la ventana. (Y sí, sé que al césped le falta un buen corte, pero así se queda hasta la primavera. Bajo la capa de nieve, formará un refugio calientito para los animalitos que viven al nivel del suelo.)
  3. El segundo venado, un macho, cruzó la calle para comerse unas de las flores en macetas allí. Salí a verle sin el vidrio en medio. Ya ha desarrollado una buena cornamenta. Puede ser el hermano de la primera, o tal vez un acompañante, ya pasado un año de edad, juzgando por el tamaño de los cuernos.
  4. ¿Hay alguien en casa?
  5. Otra foto final: ésta la saqué mientras la venadita daba la vuelta para irse, y quedó escondida tras mis plantas caseras, aparte de la cola. Guardé la foto porque mostraba tan bien los pelos individuales; la lente nueva hace buenas fotos. Pero luego miré otra vez y noté lo eficaz que será ese abrigo cuando soplan los vientos helados este invierno.
Y otra vez, se han comido las hojas de las capuchinas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger