Saturday, April 01, 2023

"Styling" the rocks

 I do love a good rock. This is part of the breakwater at Oyster Bay.

The tide is low. Barnacle colonies mark the usual tidal level.

The long, dangling white streak is gull poop. I had to scramble over the rocks to confirm this. And from there, I arrived down at the outer shore, where I found more dangling rock decor.

Seaweed anchored to the protected side of the rock. Green algae cover the outer sides.

This is a reddish-brown alga, soft and moist, even in full sun, when the rock it's attached to has completely dried. It seems to prefer spots away from direct wave action, and I usually see it growing like this, with each one well separated from its neighbour.

This bit of sponge seemed to have been placed (by the retreating waves) as an element of decor in its own right.

Bit of dried sponge, propped against a driftwood log. As found.

Barnacles, next.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me encantan las rocas. Estas en la primera foto forman parte del rompeolas de Oyster Bay. La marca blanca, que parece algo colgado de la roca, resultó ser heces de gaviota. Me tuve que trepar sobre las rocas para asegurarme que así fue.

Y desde allí bajé a la playa en la parte exterior del rompeolas, y encontré otras decoraciones de las rocas; estas son algas marinas marrones. Están suave y flexible, húmedas aun cuando la roca está expuesta al sol y todo alrededor se ha secado. Crecen en la parte más protegida de la roca, siempre con cada individuo separado de los demás. Los lados más expuestos a la acción de la roca están cubiertos de algas verdes.

Y al borde de la zona intramareal, como si se hubiera colocado allí a propósito para decorar el sitio, encontré un pedazo de esponja reseca.

Mañana, unos bálanos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger